PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - liver function test
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2011, 19:58
gingernut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blood tests can sometimes identify an underlying alcohol problem, but there are problems with sensitivity (the ability of the test to pick up a problem and not miss any cases) and specificity (the ability to get it right without falsely identifying those who haven't got the problem).

The ideal test would have high sensitivity (doesn't miss any cases) and high specificity (doesn't falsely pick up cases.) Most tests don't have either so we have to use them with caution.

Doctors (and nurses) love performing tests, it makes them look scientific, but in the real world it can often confuse the issues, rather than add to the picture.

In your case, I suspect that the docs will be looking at a constellation of tests to try and focus on the underlying problem. Traditionally the Gamma GT (GGT) test was seen as a marker of alcohol use, but problems with specificity limits it's use (gamma GT (GGT) and alcohol - General Practice Notebook) so I think they'll be looking at things including liver enzymes and the size of your red blood cells (MCV) which is part of your full blood count (FBC).

Technically you could argue the toss. You could argue that the biggest p*sshead in Manchester are within normal parameters, whilst the guy who has the odd glass too many have results outside what's classed as "normal." (I see this every day :-) )

It does sound like a warning shot has been fired across the bow.

It'd be interesting to explore the journey that has brought you to this point.....you'll find some understanding ears here

Now, forgive me if I fail to reply tonight, a rather cold glass of Pinot awaits.