PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the MU2 - facts please.
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2011, 16:13
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dream Land, no problem at all, I realize that some pilots like the MU-2 and to be honest, the later short models did have very good single engine performance for a turbo-prop. The early long bodied series I few were underpowered and had very poor performance (G, J and N). Along with a number of other problems, which I listed in an earlier post in this thread.

Never the less, there is a reason that MU-2 are not being built anymore and Kingair 200s still are. The last MU-2 was built in 1986. I never had a problem with the physical act of flying MU-2s, but I was already flying Jet Commanders and Lear 24/25s before I flew a MU-2. Also I did go to Flight Safety initial in Houston before flying a MU-2. Then there was no simulator, only a cockpit mock-up. We did all the flight training in the actual aircraft flying out of the Galveston, Texas (GLS) airport.

As I posted above I have 99% of my experience in the long series of the MU-2 and very limited in the short ones.

My favorite joke about the MU-2; every time you turn the auto-pilot on in an MU-2, it heads for Pearl Harbour.