PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAE RAF P3 procurement feasibility report
Old 21st Oct 2011, 12:22
QTRZulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FG

While I fully applaud the 'Seedcorn' idea you refer too, only a handful of people will be departing for foreign shores (currently only about 10 I believe). Certainly not enough to resurrect a capability in 3 years or so when they are due to return. That's not to say it will never happen, but if the government were serious about getting back into maritime patrol with a half decent platform they sure have a strange way of going about it. A more realistic time frame is 15 years in my opinion and unless those guys that are going can remain overseas for that long (never going to happen) I fail to see what the MoD/RAF will really gain?

The 3 year overseas tour will most certainly not fit in with any government timetable for regenerating a/the capability, especially when we hear on a daily basis, we are broke and will be for quite some time to come. Even if we had the money, I don't see the political will let alone a champion within the MoD to try and drive this forward.

Don't get me wrong I would love for UK plc to get back into maritime aviation as its an amazing job, performed by some truly amazing people, but I wouldn't hold your breath.