PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2011, 09:58
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
AOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR_NDB
Why not present this (important) info when AoA nears safe limits? Could be triggered by "rate". Warning a fast closing in to a dangerous condition. Requiring immediate action.
ChristiaanJ
What else is the "STALL, STALL, STALL!" aural warning? It occurs before the actual stall (as well as supposedly during it, different issue, that).
Stall-aural warning is an on/off indication, AOA is also a trend indication. Just look at it, see the AOA increase and expect trouble if you dont stop it prior stall range. If STALL sounds, you can check on it how far you have penetrated into unknown territory and how drastic your steps have to be to get out again. And you can crossscheck on it how effective the implemented measures are. You can also identify a false stall warning, which had been present in other cases with UAS and act accordingly.
It is not of interest how helpfull it would be when AOA is above 35°, as it should help to avoid STALL in the first place.

In an air transport aircraft it would be best used as a backup instrument in case of UAS (just fly a fixed AOA value and you are safe, regardless if you are level, climbing or descending) or other situations, where you are operating at the edge of the flight envelope.

The training you would need for that one is nearly none, you just have to be able to read the numbers. The AOA values of interest can be marked on the gauge by colours, those would be cruise, stall, max range, max endurance and others deemed necessary. No magic there.

AOA is a performance indication, and if it is an old analoge one i myself and most fighterpilots where used to, it is higly independent from the rest of the systems and electronic gadgets.

You might have it for years and only register its presence without using it in the daily normal work, but in an abnormal situation it might safe your day.

If it gets implemented, and i´m sure it will, there will be no complaint about it and no problem to make use of it.