PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2011, 06:57
SloppyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the case for 5 million Americans between ages 25 to 35 right now. What kind of life is that?
You have to look at this specific industry as it requires lots of specific skills and training. There are jobs out there for pilots on A320 aircraft offering a tax free salary of over US$18,000 a month. There is a lack of qualified experienced pilots. CX could if they wanted offer a better package and attract quality experienced pilots but they chose not to as it is easier to pay a starry eyed wannabe well below market rates. They are not short of cash, they are making a fortune but finance guys like you have decided it best to get the cheapest guys possible. This is wrong, it removes jobs from people who have experience and will cause them huge problems further down the road. Many senior pilots are against this form of recruiting, cadets should be a part of it but in proportion. Expat cadets should be paid an expat package.

So what does "Ok" to "good" mean? What is "good" or "ok" to you may not be to the person standing next to you.
You judge yourself on those around you, at CX most people are on the same deal so you see how others are doing and those ahead of you and its comforting to know that you and your family will be ok. Same with friends in HKG, most are on better packages or similar as that is what it takes in my opinion (yes) for an expat with a family to be happy in HKG. Most icadets who have been here for a while are finding it hard.

Doesn't Cathay have to make back the billions they lost during the 2008-2009 turmoil so they have a war chest that can sustain them when they lose billions again?
No, they are an extremely well off company. They have already made as PROFIT far far more than they lost during 08-09. As a wall street guy am sure you can find this info.

By the way, so are now admitting you want to build hours and jump ship, was that your original plan at Cathay?
Absolutely not. I enjoy my job and the time off it gives me. My career with Cathay will provide a comfortable and enjoyable life for me, my wife and kids. If they decide to reduce the deal that I signed up for then absolutely as it will only get worse and it is not worth living in HKG on a sub standard contract. I would rather do the same job at home for the same money.

First, don’t expect anything not written into a contract will happen.
Secondly, with Cathay don't expect anything that IS written into your contract will happen.

I am not trying to put you off. If you have 0 to very little time flying it is without doubt one of the best ways to get into aviation, a pretty boring way but still on of the best. Training paid for, job at the end if you pass, progression into a widebody in 7ish years, faster than through the GA route. Good aircraft, usually good people you work with, professional atmosphere. There are many good points but please don't think you are getting a good deal once you have experience you are not and NEVER will when at CX unless they up the package once icadets start to leave with experience. But this as you say is not written down so can't count on it, expect to be in HKG, like you said, for your whole career on a very poor package for the job you are employed to do.