PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 21st Oct 2011, 02:46
ELone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with CASA medical issues for ATCs.

Hi all,

I am having an issue with getting my class 3 medical for air traffic controller training. (I am supposed to be starting the tower course on November 21st.) I have a minor mental illness which CASA are using as reason to not give me my medical. They have refused the medical based on assumptions about my illness rather than fact, I was given 30 days to send in more evidence as proof that I do meet the requirements of the medical. I sent in a number of reports from my doctor, psychologist, medibank health solutions and my gliding club all addressing the requirements and my ability to meet them without issue.
When I sent these documents into CASA they were supposedly reviewed but my medical was still denied based on the same assumptions they had made the first time around. There was no reference to the evidence I had sent in and it appears to have been completely ignored despite the fact that the documents I sent in clearly demonstrate that I meet the CASA medical requirements.
I intend to appeal the case as my evidence has clearly been ignored, I also intend to make a complaint through a discrimination board as my medical has been denied based on assumptions about the general opinion of what my condition involves rather than on individual evidence provided by medical professionals.

Main point, has anyone else been in this or a similar situation with CASA and have any useful advice on how to deal with it? Has anyone had more luck than me? I have heard of many people with medical conditions worse than mine being granted a medical and I'm starting to wonder whether being granted a medical depends purely on which doctor at CASA 'reviews' your paperwork and which side of the bed they woke up on that morning.

Any useful advice would be much appreciated and to anyone else applying for medicals, good luck and I hope your experience with CASA is more pleasant than mine has been so far!