PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 20th Oct 2011, 20:37
HundredPercentPlease

Received 59 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearfoil
MASTER CAUTION. CAVALRY CHARGE. PITCH DARK. TURBULENCE. DUFF SPEEDS. HARPY F/O (imo). (DOES he have a screen?)

OK, heroes, what do YOU do?
Unfortunately, I do not qualify.

However, as a regular, boring, normal but experienced 320 series person, I'll tell you what I and I think everyone else would do (assuming at high altitude).

1. When the A/P drops out, you read the FMAs. This normally tells you what failed, and what you are left with. Very important, since it might influence step 2 (if you have thrust lock for example, or -FD2).

2. Ensure I have control, by possibly getting manual thrust. Fly wings level at my memorised numbers: 2.5/82.5. Say them out loud "2.5, 82.5". Easy to remember. Your type may vary, but for any modern jet it will be about 2.5 and most, but not all, of the thrust.

3. Start the diagnosis. A good diagnosis will normally lead to a good decision. Ask for the GPS monitor page to get height and speed trend, and the QRH for some more accurate pitch and power. Continue the diagnosis until you know which instruments are good. Try to ignore the dinging from the ECAM, until you are ready to draw it into your diagnosis. Consider the BUSS.

4. Make the goal a safe descent to get out of the high altitude flight problem area. Something like FL250. The WXR would be part of this process.

I would not pitch up like a madman. I would not select TOGA thrust, which of course is no different to climb thrust (in a 320), and not much higher than my target thrust. I imagine I would be somewhere between quite apprehensive and scared - but I know that if I stick to basics and work through the problem I should be fine.

I believe holding pitch and power is what all the other crews did, quite successfully, in all the other high altitude UAS events.

And all this talk of "autotrim" makes this discussion sound like week 1 of an Airbus type rating course.