PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your husband will never be promoted if you wear trousers
Old 20th Oct 2011, 19:26
Haraka

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Tony Smith

Beags,
If I am allowed a one-off thread drift. Tony Smith,who flew Maggie in later years, used to be on my ULAS flying weekends.
As you well recall , following the BoB film (premiered of course especially for our commissioning day on Sept 15th '69) it became a bit of a "thing" for us ex-Cadets. "Don't you shout at me Mr. Warwick!", Full acting out of "The Luftwaffe March " with Stumpy Swann taking the salute etc. etc.
Tony was one in particular who loved arranging rendevous with , and then bouncing, fellow solo studes in his "Chipfire".
Having picked a 5000' assignation with a mate one morning at a determined time over Greenham Common, Tony droned up to 7000' just to be sure and ,bang on cue , spotted a Chipmunk pottering along 2000' below. Tony rolled over and went into a near VNE (172kt?) dive pressing the transmit button on our illegal stude "quiet " frequency and giving it the "dakadakadaka"call - straight from the movie. Tony then broke away and continued his flight.

NOW. Andy Whittaker ( our very much respected CFI) happened to be taking a new student on an effects of control intro at the time and was somewhat taken aback at the sight of a ULAS Chipmunk diving very close indeed alongside and breaking away , of course displaying its large underside serials in the process.
We were all hauled in by the CFI at lunch time, told the story and asked for the culprit to own up ....or else.
Tony went straight in and confessed. The contents of the subsequent father to son one way discussion were not of course revealed by either party - but can be imagined.
I very much doubt if anything was put in writing, as that was the way it was. Happy Days indeed Beags.
My wife and I got married just before I PVR'd( for the second time) We only attended one function - an annual cocktail party. Our guest ( a local school head ) failed to appear.
I pointed this out to the PMC who then observed
" I'm not really surprised, He came last year"