PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2011, 17:20
SloppyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to read a post two above yours Mad-Dog. Most of the guys posting are on the old package, as am I. We stay here as the housing allowance allows us to do ok to good financially. If there was no housing almost every last expat based in HKG would quit, honestly. I know I would. Current icadets are here as they have not been for very long, just spent a year training for this job, believed everything they got told in the interview, are chasing the carrot and shiny jet still. The longest serving icadet I expect is about 2 years as an SO.

anyone who comes to a board such as this to make a life changing decision and takes the advice of anyone without doing their own research (ie personally talk to HR etc) should be labeled as dumb.
What the guy posted two above you:

Looking back, I was incredibly naive to believe all the bull**** they told me about basings, upgrades etc. Its nothing like I thought it would be, or wanted it to be.
You could be stuck in HKG with no life, no relationship as can't afford one, unable to enjoy life for 10 years. Seriously it could be 10 years before you can move on. 6-7 years as an SO and the rest to get enough time to get a job back home. I know local guys do ok but that is because HKG is their home.

Obviously what is best for you is what you should do but do not think that people on here are all about protecting their own package, they are not, it is about trying to let you guys know what you are getting into as HR and CX bend the truth. Recently guys have been told 18 month to upgrade, I am pushing 4 years and they are going to be changing the training system SOs do to make the HKCAD happy with the SO rating for longer than 5 years which is the legal limit of a P2X rating currently. Basings, people have been told they can get a base when they are an FO, Auckland is about a 12 year wait as an FO so you have to pass up your command to go there, Europe not much better. To get a London base as a Captain you had to join in the mid to late 80s.

Yeah have a chat with HR and base your decision on that.

When you come to HKG for an interview, if you get one, go down to the bar one evening and have a chat with some current CX guys, they will be happy to help as most are a descent bunch and see what they have to say.

Last edited by SloppyJoe; 20th Oct 2011 at 17:31.