PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When things go wrong
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2011, 14:37
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also think it is horses for courses stuff. Certain types, and how you operate them, will work well with advanced systems. Obviously the development and technological advances available at an ever increasing pace, is welcomed. However, aviation is still about the basics, regardless of size, lift/drag/thrust etc. Also knowing where you are and at what attitude relevent to everything else.

I agree, the glass stuff makes me feel somewhat detached - I do not have enough experience, nor training, to tell if I would warm to it.

That said, this thread examined VFR at low level in crap, and aware of visual clues. It drifted into GPS, possibly as sole reference, and as the units themselves say - NOT TO BE USED AS PRIMARY NAVIGATION AID.

I think there are those that do use them, do not see the need to carry a map, nor stopwatch, and have limited knowledge of VOR/NDB/DME etc. Good luck to them, it is not intended as any criticism, just it would not be my choice, particularly when carrying pax.

IMHO this can lead to trouble. I am also concerned when certain people see the old stuff as precisely that, stating technology forever. Again, I think this is somewhat silly.