PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 20th Oct 2011, 13:45
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTex600
Did the pilots order the autopilot disconnect? Did they order the Autothrust disconnect? Did they order the THS full nose up?
No, no and yes. I was referring to the period *after* autoflight disconnect, but if you want to see what happens when the autoflight tries to control an aircraft with bad airspeed information, you only have to look at the Birgenair 757 crash.

You will say that the pilot ordered full THS nose up. I'll say that he obviously did not understand what his control inputs were accomplishing, but that he thought his actions correct.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but the million-dollar question is "why?". As I said on the Tech Log threads, my flying experience began and ended with my AEF flights as a teenager and even on that minimal basis I knew that pulling up anywhere near the stall regime is a bad move, and over and above that if something untoward happens you don't start moving the controls until you've got a good idea what the problem is and how to solve it - especially if you have altitude to spare.

I'm participating in this because I want to ensure it doesn't happen to ME or one of my friends. IOW, I'm trying to learn from the deceased crews mistakes, not trying to attack nor defend the aircraft.
You'll note that the post of mine you quoted was addressed directly at Gretchenfrage, who has done practically nothing but bash the aircraft throughout most of his posting history. It's been good having new blood in the discussion, that's for sure.

Have a safe trip!