PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Claim back tax from Home to Duty Travel
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2011, 09:58
SAMXXV

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Oberon said:

"The Mess bill argument always used to annoy me when I was in. I tried to argue that as union dues could be claimed in the civvy world, especially in a closed shop environment, then the same situation existed as far as mess bills. Being a member, and paying, was part of the job. I never managed to convince HMRCS though."

I set the precedent that you want in 1992. I got the Child Support Agency to discount some £50 of my monthly income (mess bills) & a further portion (can't remember how much) in uniform maintenance before their hilarious (ludicrous) maintenance demands. These were accepted by the CSA as neccesary costs of the job.

I actually incurred the wrath of MOD, with telephone calls from two (very) senior officers from PMC Innsworth, threatening me with all sorts of financial penalties & possible loss of pension after I was subject to an hour long documentary by "World in Action" & went on a 30 minute TV programme with the "orange one". Needless to say, at the time I was under extreme financial stress, coping with a divorce, loss of my house through the courts & ending up with nothing.

What was of interest was the differing attitudes of two Stn Cdr's. The Stn Cdr of Coningsby (F3's) supported me, as did my lovely OC Ops Wg. RAF Marham (World in Action) refused any co-operation - yet for the next 3 years (until my enforced retirement at 38/16 for daring to upset MOD) the station PSF referred EVERY CSA enquiry of any rank to me......

You will gather that I am not aircrew. I spent many years on Bloodhound SAM's then 7 years in Laarbruch/Coningsby/Marham WOC/COC's managing the BRAMIS/SOMA computer systems.

The fact is, if you don't fight HMRC/CSA etc for your rights then you don't deserve a rebate......

Don't let the b*****s get you down. Get even.