PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greenham Common memories
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2011, 08:58
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 300 Likes on 168 Posts
Ah, Greenham Common, happy days! I went to '76, '79, '80, '81 and '83. It was usually biennial on odd years, but '76 must have been Bi-Centennial; not sure what '80 was.

1976 was my first proper airshow, somehow persuaded my mum to take me. Hunter 25th with 25 lined up including prototype WB188, now at Tangmere. F-111s were temporary residents while they resurfaced UH. As a 12 year old I didn't know much about military aircraft (not much has changed!) but there were plenty there that I had only seen in my old Observers books! KC-97, ah... New acquaintances which became firm friends, Rothmans, BBMF, Mossie, Sally B, RNHF, Vintage Pair - some sadly no longer with us, some of the pilots too... A US carrier was around and pairs of its aircraft were present. The F-14 has been a big buzz at school that past summer term - I think Airfix has released their swing-wing kit - and now I has actually seen two, and one even flew; I was going to be a hero back at school in September!

1979, 25th anniversary of the Herc, what a line up, yet now quite a feature I think.

Just before the 1980 event, a very low Bronco circled our school near Godalming - I helpfully waved and pointed the rough direction to Newbury, whereupon it straightened up and flew off that way - Good old USAF, lost again, I like to think I helped!

Yep, moved to Fairford for 1985 (Dak's 50th - sadly only a dozen or so!) - I made it there each year until 1994, but it wasn't the same, too big, too crowded.