PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 19th Oct 2011, 20:48
TTex600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
A true aviator flying a normal aircraft uses touch and sight.
Oh, I didn't know. So in your opinion all fighter pilots nowadays are no true aviators anymore... - gives me comfort when I share my cockpit with them (I can promise you, they still are). I never understood the "tactile feedback concept" on modern airliners since you are not getting feedback at all but working against springs and hydraulic units. Let alone these clumsy scratching autothrottles that are never completly aligned and where you spend most of your brain capacity to figure out how to put them in the position you want them (and they move again away from there).

No let me tell you, a true aviator is the one that understands that every aircraft is a true aircraft, that you have to handle her gently, moderatly, sensibly, intelligently and foresightedly. You can bring down every aircraft if you want to, be it an A300 American Airlines over NY 2001 with weired rudder input, or forgetting moving throttles like Turkish in Amsterdam. It's not easy, but you can do it. If you are no true aviator. They are spread over A and B about evenly...
Last edited by Dani; 19th Oct 2011 at 06:40.

I can't comment on fighter pilots.

I learned to fly without reference to flight instruments, to judge my attitude by outside references, to judge speed by wind noise and control feedback, and I trust that I am not the only Airbus pilot with that background.

You seem to be focused on proving that the pilots performed poorly and proving that the airplane is innocent, while I'm trying to understand WHY they failed at their task. I'm not anti Airbus. I guess you'll just have to disagree.

isn't it ironic that the I, the American, find myself defending the French pilots against their European brothers.

To: everyone else, Please remember that we do NOT know what the PF saw in his PFD. All of the indignation you read regarding the pilot flyings failure to properly react is coming from people with 20/20 hindsight. People who have had two years to study, in minute detail, every parameter of the initial onset and subsequent stall. Had the pilot had the same verifiable , reliable data we have the outcome would likely have been quite different.