PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 19th Oct 2011, 18:33
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HazelNuts39
Dozy,
The PF released (sort of) back-pressure on the sidestick between 02:12:15 and 02:12:30, without any change in the elevator (full nose-up).
He blips the controls forward from full back-stick to half-forward for a second, if that - there's a corresponding blip in elevator movement (which will take a second or two to respond in any case), before he returns to ordering half-nose-up pitch, which pushes the elevator back to max nose-up position

When he then moved the SS forward, the elevator moved away from the up stop, pitch attude decreased, and lift (normal acceleration) increased. Similar but slightly lesser responses between 02:13:45 and 02:14:00.
Yes, and if you follow the overall trend during those periods, the stick spends more time around neutral than it does during the 2:12:15 to 2:12:30 period (of which approximately 1s is spent with the stick forward of neutral, the other 14s is spent with it back). I don't need to tell you that hydraulically-assisted controls need a few seconds to respond to demand now, do I?

@CJ - As I recall, it was only 1 poster, Svarin IIRC, who stated that his airline were very strict about their Airbus crews not touching the manual trim wheel. This is worrying to me because even if autotrim is there more than 99% of the time, you still need to know how to recover the aircraft if it isn't - so it should be trained for regardless. The trim "whooler" was deleted from the A320 onwards, probably because it would be an annoyance with autotrim active during turbulence - it would be sounding almost constantly. Maybe a compromise with the whooler sounding if the trim goes beyond a certain limit could be looked into?

Originally Posted by Tourist
Erm...
I think you'll find 100% are down to human error if you look deep enough.
I was referring to aviation accident investigation terminology, in which "structural failure" and "adverse meteorological conditions" are considered distinct and separate.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 19th Oct 2011 at 18:54.