PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHF - Merlin Mk 4
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2011, 16:06
oldgrubber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neartheend,
As you say the MK1 fleet are suffering with unserviceability; why is my statement that placing all the supply and usage of assets in one forces area of responsibility going to affect that detrimentally? Don't forget that Benson are not the supply point for Merlin spares, the "Depth" facility for aircraft and components, Culdrose is. The IOS Warehouse is the conduit for the vast majority of "in scope" spares to anyone who uses the MK1 and 3 aircraft and that is in Culdrose. The Transmission bay, MDMF, Workshops, MAWS etc, etc, all exist at Culdrose, as does the RTM Engine bay (which also supplies Apache).
I would take issue also with the fact that the interchangeable assets are not the "makes it fly" bits, come on now, be honest, tell that to the transmission bay!
I agree with your list of organisations involved in supplying spares, but the comment I wrote and then deleted last time (because I didn't want to upset people) would have clarified the main problem (other than lack of sufficient assets) facing the fleets. For reasons I suspect you know about as you seem "in the loop", there is a real lack of "confidence" in usage history and that costs money. Lets leave it at that.
As for the Seaking, she was good though wasn't she!
High Spirits,
The deck parking of aircraft (including Chinooks) and vehicles on the CVS's is standard when carrying out embarked troops operations ("Bored Winter", "Purple Helmet" and so-on), so if they can manage it on a little "through deck cruiser", I reckon the POW could do it and land fixed wing aircraft too! Remember we are talking about a "transit" and unload scenario, for sustained ops from offshore to land you are right, they need to be struck into the hangar. Not ideal but not "hoop" either.
How do I know (re. complexity)
Well mechanically I completed my conversion and taught others for years, including aircrew and have done other Merlin jobs since. So whilst you are right that I have no aircrew experience, I have spent many hours talking with retread and ab initio pilots, who all told me that it almost (and I quote a senior pilot), "flies itself".

Cheers