PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 47 G2 Vs G3
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2011, 14:22
Great View

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've operated a G3B1(turbocharged version) on an aerial application contract. I'm a pilot/mechanic and on the flying side, yes, very nice helicopter to fly, actually I would say the 47 model is one of the nicest helicopters I've ever flown. The biggest issue I've had with the G3B1, on the maintenance side, is rigging the turbocharger. I was lucky because I had some old timers helping me but.....what a pain in the arse!! You would really need an engineer who has experience with rigging these things(and they are about as rare as rocking horse sh%t!!). Wastegate runs off of the aircraft hydraulic system for starters and you have this funky dual needle manifold pressure gauge that reads normally aspirated pressure and boosted pressure at the same time....and if you are doing a lot of power changes, those needles go all over the place! All depending you experience level, I've actually put myself in a couple of bad situations because my head was in the cockpit watching those damn needles dance around and hoping I still had cylinders when I landed. Also the turbocharger is the size of a toilet bowl on that thing which means you can overboost the hell out of your engine, EASILY! If I remember right, max manifold pressure is something like 49 or 54 inches(can't remember, its been a while), which means you can almost watch your cylinders land before you if you pull a bit too much collective. All that being said, once you get used to flying the G3.....she's the queen of the sky! And, with oxygen and a huge set of balls, you can take her up to max ceiling.....25000ft I believe!!!!

As for the main rotor blades, on the bigger 47 models, Bell went to metal blades. If I remember right there are 3 versions of metal blades, the -13 which are short metal blades(not 100% sure on that, memory isn't what it used to be) and the -21 and -23, longer metal blades. The difference between the two(-21 and -23) is, the -23 has a 7 lbs weight in the tip of the blades which would make them "high inertia" blades and the -21 are exactly the same except with no weight. In fact, I think the -21 can be upgraded to a -23 blade just by installing the weight. I don't think Bell has ever called them "high inertia" blades but I can tell you that they will take FOR EVER to spool down after you shut down. I've actually seen this done by our chief pilot at the time(and I think it was one of the selling points by Bell when they first came out with the -23), in a hovering auto, land, pick it back up, turn 180 degrees and land again. Quite impressive blades.

But don't think for an instant that the -21 blades are "low Inertia" and your going to sink like an r22. Actually I've done a few autos with a G2 with wooden blades and, yes, things come at you a bit faster, but its by no means like an R22 or 300 auto.
In my opinion, a G2 would be a great little heli to have fun with and if you really are looking for a wide cabin and a bit more power, go with a G4 or G5 NON turbocharged ship.

There is my 2 cents.
Be safe
GV