PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 19th Oct 2011, 13:49
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
End point from me: Training airline pilots is very expensive. If you could be released to the line with MSFS time and a PPL it would be happening. It isn't, there's a reason why the professionals spend expensive hours upon hours on type specific training in the classroom, and hours upon hours in the simulator of their type before being let loose on the real world.
I have no doubt about that and no question as to why they spend so much money on training purposes. My scenario is completely extreme. I have also mentioned that "I think I stand a chance at making it happen" which does not guarantee any good outcome but there's still a chance it could happen. The specific conditions that I have mentioned is that the person flying (me for example) would be familiar with the aircraft... airspeeds, configurations, being able to operate the FMC and autopilot to somewhat extent - that can be learned in MSFS and therefore providing enough basic knowledge of the aircraft to understand what and how the aircraft should be operated (in theory at least). Just reading back, I don't recall saying "any airliner". I meant at least one that you are familiar with. For example if someone put me inside an IL-96 or an A380, I would struggle as I know nothing about them... that's what I mean.

I am not going to argue any further. There's enough information here to suggest that it is possible to manually land a jet without having any previous jet hours. I don't think it can be done by anyone (and maybe I would fail miserably too) but apart from the issue of "how quickly can you adapt to flying a jet" (i.e getting it configured in time etc) there is nothing else to suggest it's impossible.

Also you seem to have completely ignored the response to the problem of slowing a big jet down. A 737 has significantly less induced drag than a PA-28 - it does not have that big drag-inducing whirly thing on the front! Trying to descend from cruise AND slow down at the same time can be VERY difficult. Even Air Traffic Controllers don't seem to realise how hard it is when firing out combined "Descend... and reduce speed to..." clearances!
I have not ignored it. I have asked what makes it so challenging and apart from what you just said, I didn't hear anyone else answer that question. Once again I am by no means wanting to hint at the idea that it's easy but it is difficult to understand why it's not doable.

----------------

There's has now been 3 people here who said they have landed full motion sims with no previous jet experience (2 manual and 1 on autoland), and that's excluding my friend who made a good landing on an A320 and landed a bit short on the 744. And boguing said he configured the aircraft from scratch. Even if it was a rough landing I think it kind of proves that it's at least plausible and will depend entirely on the knowledge of the individual and how quickly he/she can adapt to a jet.

He certainly doesn't appear to want to. I suspect his mate, with whom he is having an argument, may well be reading this thread. If so the OP is probably desperate for at least one professional to agree with him, that way he can attempt to claim a draw.
Very unlikely that he found it. But I might actually show it to him later. Even though I got slaughtered by most people here it makes for some interesting reading, and the few that said it's actually possible (or might be possible) got ignored by the looks of it.

You seem to have a VERY high opinion of your own abilities. What you do seem to lack is humility! Such an attitude would NOT make a good airline pilot. Realise your own limitations.
I am sorry if I appear big-headed. I don't doubt my abilities but I sure as heck don't treat flying like a game, and you are quite wrong in thinking I have no understanding my limitations. Maybe not completely, not yet, that is the ultimate goal of any pilot...

The scenario I provided along with every bit of sensible information to suggest the possibility of a successful outcome has either been entirely misinterpreted or ignored.

I COMPLETELY admit that I do NOT know everything there is to know. The descent profile like Groundloop pointed out... I'm sure I might not appreciate how difficult it is to achieve, along with other things I'm sure.

If any of you have access to a full motion sim that could be set up with a 737NG at 35,000ft, I would love to try it. That is really the only way to find out the answer to this rather stupid question.

One last point I would like to make: does anyone remember the Canadian 767 that became a glider? They made the same scenario for 10 crews on a flight sim and they all failed. My point is... not everyone is capable of that kind of flying regardless of experience. Was it luck? maybe so... so in my scenario even if the chances are 1 in 1000, it still means that maybe someone can pull it off.

I appreciate all your input and don't think I have ignored any of the comments from you guys that actually fly for a living. I respect them greatly and will try to learn what I can. Maybe one day I too will arrive at the conclusion that it would be an impossibility but so far there's enough evidence to support that it might just be possible... maybe unlikely, but realistically possible.