PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OSL first to implement Point Merge System
Old 19th Oct 2011, 13:42
Cough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to bring this back up.

These 'point merge' procedures absolutely miss the point. They aren't green, as most times I have visited Oslo recently I've burnt around 150kg more fuel than the old procedures, they don't conform to CDA principles as we have to meet altitude constraints that are plain mad (fly level segments at FL100), noise is increased at departure airports (greater flight plan fuel due 60nm odd longer arrival and a heavier aircraft means non optimum levels met)

I don't doubt that controller workload is less. If the arriving aircraft are nowhere near the airport then departing traffic is going to get continuous climb, but it doesn't make for a 'green' environment.

And CDFA principles aren't met, controllers pass no information on track miles to go on an RNAV arrival where FMC track miles mean nothing as you have no clue what is actually going to happen.

Sorry, if this is progress, I don't need it. Can we go back to the old Oslo, where you would be about 8nm abeam the field, turned in for a 10mile final from a CDFA. Now that is green and it is safer as it was predictable.

Rant over!