PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airports use tech to take the hassle out of business travel
Old 19th Oct 2011, 12:18
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Airports use tech to take the hassle out of business travel

That is the title of article on an IT website that I still follow from my many years in that field.

It summarises the results of a survey by SITA (originating in 1949 as Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques by 11 carriers) about pax 'self service'. I think the article a little too optimisitc (note British understatement) but the original report is of course not openly available to see how optimistic it is. Here I quote the article and bear in mind this is the airports talking not carriers:

Getting on a plane is about to get a lot easier according to a new report, which found that airports will increasingly automate passenger and security checks.
A lot easier, gosh that will be good news then.

Just over half of the airports questioned for the Sita Airport IT Trends Survey said they will increase the number of passenger check-in kiosks, with a quarter planning to add new features to kiosks such as the ability to print out bag tags and scan travel documents.
Oh goody, goody.

Whilst this is routine and to be expected:
Airports are hoping to reduce queues for checking in luggage, with more than half, 53 per cent, planning to introduce bag-drop desks that serve multiple airlines by 2014.
This is, I think, news to many of us pax.
Long queues for boarding and security checks could also be alleviated, as the survey found that by 2014 just over one-third of airports will have introduced electronic gates for self-boarding and 42 per cent will have e-gates that carry out security checks, such as confirming that a passenger matches their passport.
This is expected but long overdue (for some airports):
The way that passengers are notified about their flights is also changing, with just over 80 per cent of airports telling Sita they will offer flight information and other updates via mobile apps and text messages by 2014.
Then I found this gem:
Jim Peters, CTO at air transport IT supplier Sita
The grand vision is to be able to go into the airport and walk on to the plane without stopping. It is definitely going to happen as the technologies get cheaper but we have to get participation between lots of different groups for it to work - the airlines, airports, police, immigration and customs, federal agencies and the like.
You'll note that, in the list, he has forgotten to mention: The pax. Especially the pax who do not travel often/before and are not familiar with interacting with a computer.

Not to mention, I would like to see their contingency plans for when it all stops going round (RIM could share their experience of last week's Blackberry outage. )

So, once again, the plan is to make everything beautiful with machines and get rid of those pesky humans and make more money. Of course, nothing makes humans more irritated than being handled by machines that stop them or reject a routine request. This is a 'grand vision' indeed.

PS On RIM, I note the biggest criticism of them is the old one: They did not communicate with their customers. It took four days for their CEO to face the press. Sound familiar?