PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow Prestwick may be sold - Ryanair cuts - passenger decline
Old 19th Oct 2011, 11:53
The Hypnoboon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I probably should have worded that better, I wasn't trying to suggest that prospective owners of Edinburgh would buy PIK just to p**s off BAA.
I was calling it as I see it. I've worked in business and aviation long enough to know that making money out the regional markets is incredibly difficult (especially when your contingency plan for tough times is "wait and see").
New owners of PIK would have to be in it for the long haul and (15+ years) and radically change the current owners business plan to gain a return on their investment (I know in this climate, there is likely to be few interested parties in that sort of investment, especially when you need a total rebuild to get up to speed).
However a single owner of both PIK and EDI would gain returns almost immediately, all from Edinburgh admittedly, if they were to buy both and be in a pretty powerful place in the Scotish aviation market. I personally see a good fit operations-wise between the two, EDI has the inbound and city markets, while PIK takes (some of) the masses to the sunshine.
This is how I see it, you may agree, you may not, but one thing is for sure, this is the day that Scottish aviation changes...