Old 19th Oct 2011, 09:06
Dani

1) Would a 'Boeing' trim the tailplane fully nose-up all on its own in the same situation? (NB talking manual input now, not A/P)

2) Would a 'Boeing' cease a stall warning in the same situation?

3) Is the 'transition' between one set of control laws in a 'Boeing' with degraded IAS inputs as complicated as with the 330?

4) Would the instrument displays in a 'Boeing' degrade the same way?

5) Would the 'Boeing' physical 'stick shaker' acting over the same period have more or less impact on PF than a voice warning?

6) Would the 'Boeing' stick displacement give a clearer indication of control input to another pilot?
I'm no Boeing pilot so I can speculate as Boeing pilots do about Airbus:

1) Boeing don't seem to be very famous in communicating very well with crews if it comes to aural warning. Helios Athens springs into my mind...

2) If you are overloaded with aural warnings, it is rather unimportant if the aircraft suppresses one or the other warnings. I speculate that a Boeings flight crew wouldn't hear it neighter. Birgen Air shows in front of my eyes.

3) you are right that there are no different "laws" on a B. But you don't have to know in which law you are in in an Airbus to handle the aircraft correctly. That's why you never find a word of "law" in your Airbus checklists. It's - from a practical stand point - irrelevant. Just fly the aircraft as if it would be a normal aircraft, and you will do the correct thing - in any law.

4) almost certainly. It's called unreliable instruments and its main feature is that instruments degrade. Boeing don't seem to have a very much lower loss-off-control record lately... (Beirut accident, others)

5) a wrong sensed stick shaker would increase the turmoil in the cockpit considerably. And it's most certain that the stick shacker would have come on.

6) no it wouldn't, because the guy pulled the stick on purpose, his hand was not "forgotten there". He pulled for the only reason that he wanted to pull. Because people told him that you can do that on an Airbus any time.

All in all, no, you are not correct at all by assuming that a Boeing would have been safer in this situation. The only difference was that these pilots knew that they are in an Airbus and thus thought they could misshandle the aircraft.