PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying over square
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2011, 07:55
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jaba,
My experience with these engines was a long time ago, [Jets or gliders mostly last 20+ years], the only independent cylinder EGT/CHT indicators showed a fair difference between cylinders at some times. Most EGT indicators were only on one cylinder from memory.
Do you lean on the hottest, coolest, richest, leanest, average?
Most have a CHT on one cylinder and an EGT either on one or at the joint of 3 or 2.

So your question do you lean to???? How would you ever really know? You have no way of telling just from those instruments.

For a friend who recently aquired an RV6 with 0-320 and fixed pitch prop, I was able to calculate by looking at graphs and knowing what fuel flows should be, a suggested engine setting for cruising at 5500-9500. This worked rather well. He reported excellent speeds (faster than 2 x 7's and a 6 on the trip and less fuel burn.) and his CHT was a bit lower than running ROP. So you can assume I guessometrically calculated that spot on .

The other RV6 with a slower speed and way higher fuel burn must not know what the mixture knob is for.

So you can do it..........but I am not about to start trying to explain it on here, we have enough trouble getting the basics through .

43inches
There is no problem with heat at all LOP, if there is you must of exceeded your peak EGT limit on the way there.
What is your peak EGT limit Except for the TIT in your chieftan, there really is no such thing. Apart from anything else it will vary depending on probe location.

A float type carby would almost be impossible to get even fuel distribution to all pots,
yep that is true, however I have managed to get several carby engines LOP, go bac a page or two and take a look at the picture I posted. Some will, and some won't and some will only if you experiment a heap to get it there.

The main point they make continuously is that non of their engines should be leaned at high power (above 75% non turbo or abv 65% turbo)
And if you had the right equipment installed you could start at 75% and by the time you leaned to say 20LOP you would end up with your EMS saying around 65% power. I have several photos which I have posted in the past showing this.

And from the Lycoming Flyer, I love the way TCM and Lycoming have tip toed backwards on LOP operations over the years, you can see it in the way they write stuff , but what is rather disturbing is this little gem. Seems old habbits die hard
In  the 
climb configuration, we recommended full throttle throughout the climb for internal fuel cooling with RPM reductions initially to 3000 RPM and then 2750 RPM for prolonged climb.