PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 19th Oct 2011, 07:15
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope, principal of flight between a PA28 and 737 aren't the same. In your Cherokee you'd easily be able to bleed of speed by closing the throttle and letting the aircraft reasonably quickly reducing speed, maybe increasing pitch slightly. Not so much in the 737! Jet engines react very differently from 1 prop on the front of the plane. They are fairly slow as well and the plane can, at times, feel a lot more sluggish in comparison to your SEP.

Now, if you were to sit on that 737 Captain's seat and knock off all the automatics at 2000ft you'll spend the remaining 6 miles of flight disastrously overcorrecting. You won't be used to the sluggish response of the 737 and you'll add too much power, then take off too much, then pitch up and down excessively and roll around too much. You will be too used to the flight dynamics of the PA28 that you won't be able to get used to the new aircraft in less than 3 minutes with all that pressure on you.

And your mate who has had an experience flight in a 747 ... do you think the simulator he flew didn't have the flight characteristics changed for the beginner user, as opposed to the characteristics used for training airline pilots in it?
What you are referring to is the way the aircraft reacts to control inputs. And if you read my last post you will realize that I very clearly understand these enormous differences. I understand speeds are much higher, controls are sluggish, engines take a while to respond to a new power settings, ground effect and flare will be different etc... I understand that. What makes you think that my brain will assume the controls will be the same on a 737 as a PA-28 when I'm in it...?

You are also now making the simple assumption of a person with no jet hours being unable to adjust and adapt to the controls in time. And I think that's the bit which we are actually arguing about here. I am by no means saying anyone can do this but so far there has been no evidence to suggest that someone who learns quickly can't adapt in time. Case and point 9/11 hijackers. So going by what you said there is no way they could've so accurately navigated at low level to their targets and hit them with such precision...???

I am not trying to be boastful but I was doing aerobatics in a glider after having 30mins flying experience, and after having around 1 hour gliding experience, on my 1st ever powered aircraft flight (C150), I landed 3 times doing circuits having never been thought how to land properly - that was my 1st ever prop a/c flight. I don't think many can say they managed to land 3 times in their 1st 30 minutes of flying. At least I think that proves I can adapt quickly. And I am not for a second going to suggest landing a 737 is anywhere near as easy as a C150 and I don't think I could ever do it consistently without proper training but I am still struggling to see why it's such an impossibility. Seems like it just entirely depends on how quickly someone can adjust to the controls and if he/she understands what regimes the aircraft should be operating at during the stages of flight. So knowledge of the aircraft you are flying is essential... and that's where flightsims can help out. All IMO. Obviously we will likely never find out the answer to this rather interesting question.

Hey, long time msfs player, who knows how many thousand hours sitting behind the captain operating as a flight mech. I know autopilots and can work my way through an FMS. I had my first opportunity in a real simulator, motion off a few years back. The controlls in slow flight were heavier than I expected. My first attempt at landing manual ILS approach I had to do a go-around, the 2nd time I was sucessfull with a firm landing. Rudder pedals were the largest problem during rollout but I had little time to prepare. I am certain I could perform a CATIIIB autoland in clear weather if in the scenario described withought any help. But I have solid knowledge of autopilots and FMS as maintaining them is my job. It was funny though how even in a sim my heart was racing, may have been all to real given how many times I was an observer and experienced landings get real complicated due to W/S etc.
Well done to you Sir. You prove a good point here.