PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ Regional fleet announcement
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2011, 04:19
Water Wings

Does this also mean Mt Cook bases in Nelson and Hamilton as well as Christchurch and Auckland?

I think there were rumours a while back about a base or two outside of Christchurch. The earthquake may have given that a few more legs.
It was made clear in the press conference that no decision had been made around which entity will operate these new aircraft. The irony if Air NZ creates a new link carrier to operate these new ATRs given how so many Mt Cook pilots have been luke warm on the MECA idea where a pivotal clause centres around new aircraft having to be flown by exisiting link pilots (much water to go under the bridge I realise).

In all likelihood though, I would think the new aircraft will go to Cook. The airline will simply open an AA base which is easily done. Another reason this is likely, Fyfe kept talking up the RNP capability of the new aircraft for ZQN ops and I do not think we are going to be seeing AKL-ZQN on an ATR which leads me to think the aircraft will have a staging point much further south which could lend credence to Chook getting the new toys.