PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying over square
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2011, 04:07
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walls of China and others.....do we need to go through this all again? The hard part is explaining every little detail here in a post on pprune.

I am seriously thinking of start an APS type seminar process like they have in the USA, and I have thought about colaboration with one particular engine shop that has the gear. Other option is bring the boys from APS out, but that is not as easy as it sounds. I have talked to them about it.

So lets get a few things straight, and best you all learn to love this chart, this is not some GAMI produced slant on things (take note Trent) it is universally accepted and has been from day dot. It appears in some of your engine manuals and other engine manufacturer documents.

This one I believe is coutesy of TCM.

And study this one hard too, coutesy of Advanced Pilot Seminars

Some of you guys are really well off the track. A bit of your version of OWT's.

Walls Of China, can I suggest you contact me via PM, I am happy as always to help educate folk but it requires several things not possible on here I have found. Namely a lot of documentation, a long phone call or two, and some desire to go out and prove it to yourself. If you want to see why your leaner = hotter comments above raise my eyebrows I suggest you spend a few bucks and come up here so I can show you.....heck I might even let you do it yourself and watch with your own eyes.

In summary, looking at the TCM graph, a richer mixture is a lethagic mixture (hard to get going bang) and is containing more available BTU's than a leaner one. As you lean you get a mixture more volatile and it goes bang better and quicker giving you a bigger PPP and one closer to TDC, this is when you get more force and x crank distance torque and at a given RPM > Power. You also get a rising CHT. Going richer again just reverses all that and the CHT goes down again. As Chimbu chuck said, its not cooling, its just creating less heat to begin with.

As you lean past peak EGT you start getting a more lethagic mixture again, less of them BTU or calorie thingo's, less PPP and at a crank position further from TDC again, and guess what....dropping CHT's.

If anyone does not get this, I am serious at a cost sharing basis of flight and pay me for my time I will arrange a ad hoc seminar at YCAB, we can all go play....and no I do not think for one minute you will kill my IO540, and you can learn for yourselves. I have all the gear and it may just save your life one day, by knowing what your engine monitor tells you. If we get a small bunch of keen folk together it will be a fun day, or two, and will not cost everyone a fortune. I doubt I will retire on the proceeds, but it will be fun and educational for all of us.

Where is Warbo?......he was kind enough to let me fly his beautiful 185 while we did exactly this. Was a great exercise.

PM me if you are interested.......and bring your CFI/Gr 3 instructors along too