PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the JAA PPL Dead?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2002, 19:24
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi FFF,

To answer your questions....

I got into flying proper in 2000, gaining my CAA or rather JAA PPL. Since then I did a lot of flying in the US and did the FAA IR and FAA ME ratings. Since doing these I have investigated the main differences between the FAA and JAA, and it just amazes me that the CAA / JAA is set up as a complete money making business, not with safety in mind but money.

A quick example.....I would like to fly ME aircraft in the UK, however it would cost approx £2-3000 per year to maintain. It now transpires that I am qualified to fly a G-reg ME aircraft on my present qualifications, which only require a BFR with an FAA instructor (in UK, US or anywhere, in a G reg, N reg or X reg plane) every couple of years. A far more affordable route for the 'private' pilot. Same goes for the IR. I would like to be able to file IR proper in the UK, but the JAA IR is unaffordable for the private pilot, and its maintenence costs are no doubt astronomical. The CAA do issue an IMC rating, which is a very good rating, but it still means I am limited to 3000' when flying to the channel islands from Bournemouth due to the overlying class A.

My goal is for the cheapest, best value flying as a private pilot, and once a person has gone ahead and got an FAA licence, it NEVER expires. A BFR every two years is enough to remain legal. No hidden costs......I am not putting down UK qualifications at all, and I appreciate the point that not everyone can go to the US for a few weeks to get an FAA licence (or SA for that matter), so this route would not be for everyone, however its a point worth making so people know that cheaper alternatives do exist...

Cheers
EA