PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To old and settled ?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2002, 19:00
Kefuddle_UK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 35 and in IT and doing a PPL too!

Just thought I would lay out my approach to this business:

I decided that it is worth it. Only after getting convincing score in the GAPAN assesment and securing my Class 1. Personally I think the GAPAN test was needed to validate the fundementals. In particular the people at GAPAN provide you with a stack of objective opinions about your chances after the assessment.

My advice: Build a spreadsheet of all the possible scenarios now. Include absolutely every cost. Do this with your missus so that she can ensure your not getting too optomistic with her money Re previous advice, work in the cost of buying a share in a C172, P28, etc and see the just how many thousands you save on the hour building phase!!!

Visit seminars given by training firms but ensure you read between the lines! They want your money but also be aware they don't want people who might sully their lovely pass stats.

I don't believe you're too old (then again what do I know). Once you start to network with those in the industry (if you haven't already) you start to see that age is not the limiting factor, but apptitude, motivation and presentation are! (at least that is the way it looks to me).

This is a v.low risk for me because I will not be packing my job in at any point during training. My training provider is very local to me and I have the luxury of flexi-time and 5 weeks hols a year so I can just about fit in my ATPL consolidation course next year and complete my CPL the following year. I intend to get an FI(R) rating before the IR simply because I expect to need the extra hours as a traininer initially. If I like it, a trainer I will stay. I will consider the IR when I feel the time is right and not before. This I believe is the hardest part of the whole process and the single most expesive item. However, I intend to stay flexible.

Most of all I intend to earn a living flying. This prospect is frankly, the most exciting undertaking ever for me. If it does not work out I will NEVER regret trying.

Good luck and Tally-ho!

Last edited by Kefuddle_UK; 31st Oct 2002 at 19:27.