PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHF - Merlin Mk 4
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2011, 23:50
oldgrubber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few things (personal opinions) I want to add.

The potential for the green Merlin to corrode more than the MK1because of its construction is actually cobblers, to put it mildly. The actual process of bolting them together is/was the same. I visited the build shed in the 1990s as part of my M Sup course and was surprised to see not a lot in the way of JC5A, Polycast, PRC, being used and if you speak to the people in the know, they will tell you that whilst this “appeared” correct at the time, it was (as we now know) was due to processes not being followed down the tortuous route of AP links to where is said, “apply jointing compound XYZ”.
The corrosion of embarked aircraft is a constant problem, whether it’s a Merlin or a Seaking, or an Apache. The biggest problem on the Invincible class ships is the lack of fresh water available to the flight deck for washing procedures. The modern sailor has little or no concept of water rationing; a concept put into practice regularly on the old steam ships. It’s now common place for priority to be given to the comfort and facilities available to the crew rather than think about the consequences of not washing the aircraft after a days flying. Ask anyone who served on that class of ship, the fresh water supply on the flight deck was essentially a garden hose on the island bulkhead.
The Ocean is no better, it is a nightmare of a ship, with no support for embarked flights and an obvious priority given to the troops it carries. The poor stokers struggle to keep the thing moving and to be frank, couldn’t give a toss if the WAFUs can’t wash their petrol pigeons; why should they?
If the basic concept of using jungly cabs at sea is to embark them, sail to the scene of the fight, and use them to disembark the troops ashore; then in real terms the inability to fold is actually a red herring (and yes I have supported the Junglies as AED and operated with them on RFA and Navy ships). Ocean was originally designed as a “30 day ferry”, hence the lack of maintenance facilities and flight support problems on board her. If you know the Merlin aircraft, you know that it is child’s play to pull the blades off (two pins), so make up a shed load of aircraft covers, pull the blades off, and deck park them covered up. Leave one or two to carry out mail and stores runs to the accompanying RFAs and ships (or a couple of old MK4 SK), and wash the flyers daily. When you get within a day of the baddies, fit the blades and off you go! They should stay with the troops as they move inland, so what’s the fuss?
To quote the armedforces.co.uk website with reference to the new carriers;Each of the two huge lifts that move aircraft from hangar to flight deck can carry two fighter-bombers. They're so big one of them could carry the weight of the entire ship's crew”.
So with that in mind, does the tail need to fold? In fact does the aircraft need to fold? Just how big are these lifts?
As for the problems that are caused by the Junglies learning about a new aircraft, well firstly, the MK 3 Merlin ain’t that complicated. Secondly, the problems solved by having one force (RN) operating the aircraft to one set of standards and very importantly managing the logistic support in one way (RN) will increase the availability of spares that are common to MK1 and MK3 Merlins (lots).
(Got rid of the last statement so I don't get shot!!)