PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 18th Oct 2011, 23:10
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to pull any strings, and I greatly respect your opinion and can only hope that one day I too will have that kind of flying experience. However, very experienced pilots got it quite wrong before on these kind of matters.

After 9/11, the following was said:

"To hit something with an airplane is easy only if you have been flying for 20 years."
- Boeing 767 pilot quoted in the Boston Globe

"The men flying the planes must have been "highly skilled pilots" and "extremely knowledgeable and capable aviators," who were "probably military trained,"
- some other experts

link: The 9/11 Hijackers: Amateur Aviators Who Became Super-Pilots on September 11 | 911Blogger.com

The reality is that these hijackers had only basic prop knowledge and were described by their instructors as having had only "average" or even "very poor" piloting skills.

So these guys, took control of an aircraft at cruise altitude (presumably), skillfully navigated to their targets and managed to hit them on their 1st attempt.

That for a start proves that you don't need to have any jet experience to fly a passenger jet manually and get it to where you want to go.

As for the landing, so we've also proved it's doable on a full motion sim when the aircraft is in "stabilized approach". So the only bit missing is the thing in between. The part of the flight that takes the jet from 35000ft to 2000ft and Vapp.

Ok you're right, I don't know what the correct procedures for doing this are. But I would imagine it involves slowing the jet down and descending... neither of which is rocket science I assume. Principle of flight for a 757 and a PA-28 are identical. The challenge as I understand would be in the correct interpretation of how to achieve a certain flight regime (and what inputs to give in order to achieve what you want). I understand that in this respect the difference between a Warrior and a 75 is enormous... e.g. the time it takes to spool up jet Vs prop or how the controls act... I understand that it's all very very very different (and maybe MSFS does teach you to expect something very different...). Anyway, it's a case of how quickly can someone with no experience adapt to a jet. Am I right? Or is there something that I am completely missing here?

I am assuming that the person in control would have a pretty good idea of what airspeeds the aircraft should operate at in certain configs. Could you also explain why it's so difficult to get the airplane into a stabilized approach? (In case you are thinking I am being sarcastic, I am genuinely not and only wish to learn). And please note I am not trying to prove what I said originally is correct. I'm just trying to gather data to understand fully why it is, or is not possible.

Thanks