PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2011, 21:47
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Clever survey, one question would not take no for an answer.
Yes I noticed that too - just accept that I wouldn't choose to go to any of the functions you have listed there, or if I did, it would be under my own steam. Also not overly keen on the fact that you have to give your name and membership number, will be interesting to see if I end up getting an email refuting the points I made -

1. Inability to get a room when I want one on so many occasions that I now look for hotac before going to the Club.

2. The perception amongst many in my peer group that the social functions seem to be targeting retired senior officers living close to London rather than appealing to the mass membership who are subsidising the retired members' social engagements.

3. That the survey has ominous portents for the Club losing sight of its intended function - a private officer's club, instead becoming a business / meeting facility with accommodation tagged on.

Edited to add - the above points may be factually incorrect by now, it is so long since I have used the Club because of the above points. However, even if they are now factually incorrect, it is clear that a residual perception of the Club being run for the benefit of retired senior officers exists and which needs working on. I should have added on the questionnaire that they need a good PR campaign amongst current serving members to try and entice them back to the fold. I agree with earlier comments that it is a fantastic facility - even with the grumbles I have -but the Club really need to work on retaining support and patronage amongst the younger generation if it isn't to become irrelevant.