PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training the Trainers (TtT) in the Commercial Twin Turbine World
Old 18th Oct 2011, 18:31
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T the T

Shawn - I'm just beginning discussions with others in the same line of business about this kind of use for the sims. We don't necessarily need big expensive level Ds but something optimised for use in non-license-related activities. T the T and Operational Training (role related). My own feeling is that we are limited to a great extent only by our imaginations once that mighty tool has been delivered to our back-yard. For sure if we end up with the next (and future) generations being taught solely by fast-track sim instructors we will be the poorer for it. The odd FI will find his or her way into the mix but I was always told that you should have safety by design, not by accident - excuse the pun. We need to see FIs as the norm not the exception. The amount of remedial teaching I have to do on a TR would make you cry and much of it is way beyond the average Joe who's had the benefit of 3 days Teaching & Learning in a classroom. They have the potential but don't get the chance to make use of it because they have never been shown how.

Paco - if what you are saying is that you simply can't teach 'experience' then I agree entirely. Selling the role of the SFI to the guys and gals you want is a tough job though. Let me see now........
1. you won't get much 'real' flying,
2. you will spend all hours of the day and night (I finish at 0315 tonight by the way) in a darkened box that jumps up and down like a demented flea,
4. vomit will be an ever-present part of for daily routine,
5. everyone will think you are sick, lame or otherwise unemployable
6. your employers think that you are two a penny and there's a replacement SFI waiting behind every tree in the Shetlands.

Kennethr - Good to hear from you. Yes the focus is on TODAYS P&L and not unfortunately on TOMORROW'S P&L because if it was they would care about where we are heading. What ever happened to Joe?

G.