PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To old and settled ?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2002, 17:24
lock wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't buy an aeroplane!
I bought a nice fast single engine complex a couple of years ago and I must have poured twenty grand into the thing just in general maintenance, AD compliance, insurance, etc., etc.
And now I've just discovered that the crank case has a crack in it. That's a new engine--another thirty grand.
Aeroplane ownership is mind-numbingly expensive and is a surer way towards financial disaster than flight training ever could be. I did both, and when I worked out what I'd spent to date I fell off my chair. (I've had a bloody good couple of years though.)
If money's no object though, and you really want an aeroplane to go places out of the UK you're going to need something a little special: de-ice, three axis autopilot, stand-by vac, full ifr inc dme, and to keep the costs down something without a turbo with good performance for fuel burn and non-pressurised. Me, I'd have a Mooney 201. Still cheaper to fly everywhere Concorde though.
If I had my time again I'd invest all that cash in hard drugs and prostitution. Big margins.