PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autorotation technique.
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2011, 12:45
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The topic raised by Alt3 here is the merit of advising pilots to pull back into a 'mini flare' when entering auto as distinct from merely applying enough aft cyclic to maintain the desired attitude/airspeed.

Can anyone here direct me to material that clearly states the importance of moving cyclic back in an autorotation entry...no publication really highlights the fact that a raising of the attitude (i.e a mini flare, if you will) helps restore the Rrpm and will increase your chances of a successful auto.
Certainly, I was taught the importance of maintaining Nr AND the effect of loading the disc.

I agree with hihover:

I think it would be quite difficult for any publication to emphasise bringing the cyclic back on entry into autorotation because it depends very much on the airspeed at which the engine fails and rotor inertia. The amount and rate at which the cyclic is moved has to be judged by the pilot at that moment of entry.
..and as Savoia points out:

A 'stick back' initial response may well be a positive refinement but... I do wonder whether drivers will give this precedence over dumping the lever... [and] it may interfere with one's field of view and, in a single when the donkey's resting, identifying where you will alight is something you feel with an impressive keenness.
I don't really see any merit in flaring the aircraft 'for the sake of restoring Rrpm' unless you've identified that Nr is low. In that case I would say fine get it back as a matter of priority by trading off some speed if necessary.