PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Helicopters Ltd
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2011, 12:00
500 Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EI-BFH was the Irish Helicopters Bell 212 that transported the Pope during he majority of his visit. I believe Sean Oakes was one of the pilots. The floats were removed and steps were fitted to the skids. I don't know if the interior got the V.I.P. treatment.

Irish Helicopters BO-105 EI-BDI was also used to transport additional personnel (Bishops, I believe) during the Papal Visit although it didn't carry any special markings.

PH-NZD and PH-NZK were the pair of KLM S-61Ns leased by Irish Helicopters for the visit. They carried "Irish Helicopters" and "Aer Lingus" markings along with the Papal Crest. PH-NZK carried the Pope on three occasions during this visit with -NZD on standby as a reserve. They must have been running behind time on the last flight in this helicopter from Greenpark Racecourse in Limerick to Shannon because the pilot shot a slightly spectacular and beautifully executed quick-stop onto the ramp next to the Boeing 747 taking the Pope to the U.S.A.

The Gardai borrowed three Pumas from the Bundesgrenzschutz, with one of them being D-HAXT. I believe the crews for these helicopters consisted of the pair of German pilots along with an Irish Air Corps pilot acting as observer. These Pumas carried large "GARDA" titles in white.

The Irish Air Corps used the Alouette III during the visit in support of Army Operations.

I can recall being present at Ballybrit Racecourse for the visit and enjoying the exotic array of rotorcraft on display, even as a seven year old!

500 Fan.