PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 18th Oct 2011, 11:51
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by before landing check list
I'll bet I can roll one without exceeding much more then 1.5 at the bottom.
I'll bet no manufacturer would let you try!

I still say it is nice to be able to have the bank angle and pitch authority not dictated by the computers of the aircraft but a will trained crew who actually knows how to fly.
Where do you think the numbers in the computers came from, if not the engineering pilots (one of whom was the best in the business) who tested the thing and worked out it's limits?

Just because the protections are there doesn't mean you should go out of your way to use them - you can still be a brilliant hand-flyer and stick to your normal limits. Perhaps it would help if pilots saw the computers as there to help (which they are) rather than something to be fought against.

I'm prepared to bet that aerobatically trained pilots were incredibly rare on the line during the entire history of modern aviation - the lack thereof now has nothing to do with "FMS programming".

GF - we've had the BRB argument on the other threads - we don't need another one here. Also, the pilot of BA038 elected to stretch the glide by raising the flaps - that is all, and nothing in the Airbus flight envelope protections would have stopped him.