PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changed procedures at non-towered aerodromes
Old 18th Oct 2011, 06:05
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed procedures at non-towered aerodromes

CASA have made some changes to the procedures that apply at non-towered aerodromes (NTAs). They actually made these in June 2010, but I must confess that I have only just become aware.

I only found out because I was following the thread here about "Pilot standards decreasing". From reading that thread, it appears that quite a few other professional pilots were as unaware as I about those changes.

Was it just me, or was the educational campaign by CASA lacking?

This post is about the changes that were made in 2010 to NTA procedures. I am doing it to help educate myself and those other professional pilots that have been bypassed by the 2010 "educational campaign".

In late 2005, CASA introduced a number of major procedure changes to NTAs (which were still referred to as CTAFs at that stage). A quick summary of those changes:

1. CTAF aerodromes now referred to as "non-towered aerodromes";
2. Straight-in approaches now allowed at all NTAs. Aircraft to be "established" on final by 5 NM;
3. Circuit height based on aircraft performance;
4. Modified circuit entry procedures;
5. Modified circuit departure procedures. The first turn after takeoff could no longer be made at 500' AAL but had to be made later. In the case of a departure from the aerodrome, it had to be made upon reaching the circuit height - even when the direction of turn was in the circuit direction. If the turn was contrary to the circuit direction, then the turn had to wait until 500' higher (or 3 miles).
6. CTAF-R designation (radio required);
7. Additional broadcasts in the circuit (e.g. turning downwind, base, final);
8. Specific format for radio broadcasts (e.g. [location] TRAFFIC, [type][callsign] [message] [location]);

Those were all the major changes from November 2005. But from June 2010, almost all have now been tweaked in some way.

My understanding of the NTA procedures as they now stand:

1. Straight-in approaches now to be established by 3 miles (but note that straight-in approaches are "not recommended");
2. Circuit join on base leg now permitted (but "not recommended");
3. Departing the aerodrome: initial turn after takeoff can now be at 500' AAL when turning in the circuit direction;
4. CTAF-R designation abolished. Radio required at "certified", "registered" or military NTAs.
5. Additional broadcasts, such as "turning downwind, base, final", now under a different emphasis. These calls now only when considered to be of benefit to other traffic.

The circuit height and entry procedures appear to be unchanged, but it appears there have been some clarifications made.

The only procedure that appears to have undergone no tweaking or clarification is the one regarding broadcast message format. This is the one that states the NTA broadcast must follow this format:

[location] TRAFFIC, [type] [callsign] [message] [location]

e.g. "Maningrida traffic, Cessna 206 UBP, 15 miles southeast, inbound. Circuit at 58. Maningrida".

Although introduced in 2005 and unchanged today, it is extremely rare to hear a pilot make a broadcast that is exactly in accord with this format. I am beginning to think the correct format is beyond the language skills of 98% of NTA frequenting Australian pilots, but that should be the subject of some other thread.