PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2002, 15:58
John Purdey

CHINOOK

Brian Dixon, It really saddens me beyond measure to have to keep repeating the unfortunate facts of this tragedy as I see them, and as a very experienced military aviator I wish someone could find another explanation of what happened.
Meanwhile, and in reply to your posting I humbly offer the following. First, I had not seen any evidence that the crew turned right. Have you? Second, you say that the aircraft 'achieved' a cruise climb. But since everyone as far as I know accepts that the aircraft was under control at waypoint change, who or what was it that 'achieved' cruise climb? Third, you say 'not by an acceptable limit' in IMC; but they were already in IMC (25 yards vis at the lighthouse, which was only 500 yards or so to the left of where the aircraft impacted. Since IMC rules in that situation specify at least 1000 yards vis, how can we say they were not IMC? Fourth, now come-on; if the aircraft was not fit for the mission, we all know that the crew could have declined to take it.
Yours with real regret in challenging so many other experts in all this, John.