PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPDLC position reports
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2011, 03:04
RandomPerson8008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I've had a few more months of using CPDLC and the advice given here has been helpful, I even downloaded the "ICAO GOLD" and have been using it as a reference.

However, I do still have one question regarding the following scenario on page 303 of the GOLD:

E.2.1.1.5
If the flight will exit the CTA into continental (domestic) airspace, on initial contact with the CTA, the flight crew should:
a) not include a position report;
b) use the appropriate data link term after the aircraft call sign (see paragraph E.2.1.1.3);
c) state the track letter if operating on the organized track system;
d) state the last two fixes in the cleared route of flight if operating outside the organized track system; and
e) request the SELCAL check.
In regard to option d), does this mean you should state the last two fixes you have passed or the last two fixes on your route of flight within the FIR?

For instance, let's say you're on a random route and have just passed 5550N followed by 5840N. Would your call to shanwick go like this?

Shanwick Radio, BigJet 1234 on 5567.

Bigjet 1234, Shanwick, go ahead.

Shanwick Radio, Bigjet 1234 C-P-D-L-C, 55N50W, 58N40W, REQUEST SELCAL CHECK ABCD.
---------------------------------------------------------

Also, in reference to the chart describing each ATS's capabilities beginning on page 293: Is there currently any FIR on the planet which is requiring a manual position report at EVERY charted reporting point other than Ujung Pandag and Colombo? Is it safe to say that outside of these FIR's, the only time a manual position report would be required is at the FIR boundary to verify ADS connection or unless specifically requested by the ATSU?