PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which training route to go down?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2011, 21:40
Say Cheese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which training route to go down?

Hi all,

Long time lurker and fairly recent registrant on here.
I am intending on starting for a license in the new year and am after some opinions as to the best way to go.

I have previously done 3 trial flights. One 11 years ago in a PA28 (I think), one a month or so ago in a R22 Helicopter and one on the same day as the R22 in a C152. I know that after having a go in a helicopter that I love the idea but it's not what I want to fly. I want to go down the route of a fixed wing.

Now to the bit I am not sure about. What to train in?

I live in High Wycombe so am very local to Wycombe Air Park (EGTB). I have done some investigations and have a choice of 3 flying clubs/training establishments. There is airways flying club, Wycombe Air centre and Light sport flying.

Airways flying club use PA28's, Wycombe Air centre C152's and Light sport flying Eurostar EV97's.

What I am not sure about is which is going to be better for me and my long term goals. I am not interested in training for commercial licenses but I do want to be able to fly as much as possible. I want to get my license and then be able to take a passenger (my girlfriend) and go away for a day, maybe when I get some more experience a couple of days. Also my job gives me a lot of time off in the week and I have a friend who lives very near Sywell who loves flying but doesn't have the funds to do so, so i'd like to be able to fly up and see him, maybe take him up for a short flight etc.

As I understand it if I go for the Light sport flying I will train to NPPL and then be able to fly in good daylight weather only (VFR?) However if I go with either of the other two clubs I can train to PPL and then add ratings to allow me to fly at night or in poorer weather. Is my understanding of this correct or have I got it all wrong?

First of all, money is an object and one which will limit how quickly I can do things. I am in a reasonably well paid job but I have bills etc the same as everyone and am not able to get together the funds to be able to do the whole thing in 2 months. I am going to have to spread it out over a year to 18 months. Looking at the websites and the price lists of the respective clubs it is cheaper to go with Light sport flying and an NPPL but am I likely to regret not having the ability to add extra ratings to fly in anything other than great weather? In the UK can you actually do a reasonable amount of flying in good weather on a NPPL? Am I likely to regret not spending the extra funds?
Obviously a PPL is more expensive but if the benefit is so much more worth it in the end I could do it. I will just have to spread the training over a longer period.

Secondly, as I understand it if I want to upgrade from the NPPL to PPL at a later date I can as long as the NPPL training was done by an instructor with the relevant qualification. Assuming the instructor has the relevant qualification is it easy enough to upgrade? Can you do a PPL on a Eurostar or does it have to be a NPPL?

Thirdly, does anyone have any dealings with any of these clubs? Is one better than the other?

Fourth, is it actually possible to get additional ratings for a Eurostar or are you effectively stuck with good weather only?

Oh and if it makes a difference, I should have no issue getting a medical for a PPL. I am fit and healthy and already have a C1 driving license for up to 7.5t for which I had to have a medical.

All opinions appreciated. This is something I want to do, I just don't want to get a license and then be frustrated I can't fly 95% of the year or something ridiculous.

Kind Regards