PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autorotation technique.
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2011, 19:01
fadecdegraded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was very good article written by a Pete Gilles in the Heli Ops mag a few years ago called Cyclic Back.
In the article he looked at 2 500 crashes where they both had engine failures in the climb out from Take off, so both where low and at high power settings.
He basically states that the only hope they had was to go aft on the cyclic.
He also states that when they do check rides at there company they put as much emphasis on pulling the cyclic back as they do on lowering the collective, if i knew how to post it on here i would, its well worth the read.
I agree with the cyclic back theory, especially in the hover such as longlineing etc, fwd cyclic will only lower the RRPM and the little bit of A/S that you build up will be of no use. It will also compound the nose dropping.
Someone tell me if i have got it wrong but in my opinion aft cyclic will help conserve RRPM and if you hit the ground going backwards a bit no big deal in fact better if over trees and as long as it hits the real estate skids/wheels first thats the main thing with hopefully a little bit more RRPM to cushion the impact than one would have had if he had gone fwd with the cyclic.