PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When things go wrong
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2011, 12:29
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
I have flown legal VFR in a helicopter with no radio navigation aids at all, in one and a half forward visibility. It's not easy, and you'd better be prepared, with a route you are familiar with, and a current chart, but it can be done. The helicopter gets the lower limit, because, as I learned first hand. When it gets really bad, you stop into a hover, turn around on the spot, and go back!

I agree that VFR flight with reference to the ground is difficult in very low vis, which is why, for my experience, weather briefings for those conditions will generally include a reference to VFR not recommended. Under certain circumstances, I will do it down to limits, if I know the route and the plane very well.

As for GPS in these situations, unless it is an IFR certified GPS, it probably has a placard somewhere which says that it is not intended as a primary reference for navigation - for this very reason. It can get you into situations you'll have trouble getting out of.

As VFR requires navigation with visual reference to the ground, there is a point at which the ground is moving too quickly for safe "watching where you're going", and it doesn't work well any more. (Cell phone towers com at you too quickly!)

Knowing when to turn around is a personally developed "limitation", often learned by leaving it too late once!