PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHF - Merlin Mk 4
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2011, 09:39
Bengo

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Money?

"Of course it is only my opinion that Mk4 marinisation will not happen because the money isn't there - if i'm wrong and it does then the full cost needs to be made fully transparent."

The money may, or may not, be there- there are several planning rounds to go before any serious quantity has to be spent on marinisation, and if cash is too scarce to do everything it may not be necessary to marinise all the Mk3's to deliver the CHF capability the Government (on decision day) wants.

However the driver about the money is as (probably more) likely to be industrial and political as it is to be military. As mentioned i this thread, Westlands will need something to do after they have nailed together the Wildcats. Vince Cable and David Laws think (hope) this will be the AW 169, but actually supporting a civil aircraft to the standard a civil customer can get elsewhere is new territory for WHL and will require much money at least.

Additionally, Yeovil for some reason has been a key constituency for Governments of all flavours so they won't want to see Lysander Road jobs disappear or move to Italy and will either find work to supplement the AW169 or provide profits to ensure that AW169 is able to stand up successfully from Yeovil.

Finally, There may even be 'strategic capability' voices raising the need to be able to maintain RW design and integration capability in UK. That will depend on the new industrial strategy, whenever that appears.

N