PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where has it all gone wrong?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2011, 09:19
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Tourist,
Your original post made you look like a member of Spectators Balcony, hence my response, having looked at your posts on PPRUNE, your many posts in the Military Forum on Rotary issues, I assume identify your credentials.

My background is Gliders,GA,Old Tprops,Modern TProps, Glass Cockpit Widebody over 20 years, so I have seen both a bit of old and new.

You are simply a Reactionary. We do not need to be military pilots, that was a skill set that may have been appropriate for civil pilots in the 60's, but not today. It is the equivalent of a bunch of Imperial Flying Boat pilots denigrating 707 pilots for having Autopilots and INS. Whether you like it or not, modern pilots need to be commercially aware and run the operation efficiently. This is a different skill set appropriate for today. It may not save your life, but it will keep you employed.

We need to be well trained commercial pilots, so that we can be safe. We are safe, statistics prove it. QED, training is adequate. When you start to look at unusual accidents like the French 330, it is just as likely that the automation led to the accident, as any inadequacy in the crew's response. That statement could exactly apply to a certain military helicopter accident a few years ago. I am yet to see definitive proof of an fatal accident being caused by the inexperience of a cadet pilot. But every year something flies into the ground piloted by an arrogant 'old school' Captain, mostly in the developing world, admittedly.

There are more pilots because there are more pax flying. As that figure rises and falls, so do the job prospects. Nothing new here. Pay-to-Fly?, GIll Air were at that 15 years ago. Didn't see too many complaints about pilots with 1500 hrs light a/c flying, then onto a dodgy old turboprop. This, is one area I would agree with you, though, as I'm very glad I have had the variety of flying, so that I can now see which side my bread is buttered on.
Andrew7 may rue the day that he became a pilot and the disappointment that it has bought him. With another 30 years ahead of him, I'm surprised he's not suicidal!

Last edited by macdo; 17th Oct 2011 at 11:12.