PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To old and settled ?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2002, 12:22
AndyGB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To old and settled ?

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum for this or not, if it isn't then please move it to the correct one.

When I was a kid I always wanted to fly (I blame my grandads war stories) but after I was told there was no way I could make RAF aircrew due to my eyesight the dream withered and eventually I gave up on it alltogether. It is now a great many years later, and I've come to realise that I still have the desire to fly, hence PPL training and so on, with an inkling that I would like to go professional.

However, and this is where I would appreciate your views, I'm 34, married with young kids, mortgage and a good job in IT (£30k/year). I'm obviously not going to be able to do an integrated course as I need to keep paying the mortgage, so I'm looking at pushing 38 before I do gain a fATPL. At that age would I have any chance of getting a position (I'm not bothered about flying big jets across the atlantic) that would pay about the same as I am getting now or do employers prefer twentysomethings to mould into their corporate way of doing things ?

Thanks in advance.