PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your husband will never be promoted if you wear trousers
Old 16th Oct 2011, 23:09
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Back in the days when we had a few ships and WRNS hofficers wore blue rings on their sleeves the norm was to raise your cap and say 'morning ma'am'. Always appreciated and more personal than flicking one up to the eyebrow.

Conversely, there was a time when WRNS ratings were only required to salute officers of the rank of Commander and above. Shortly after the rules changed and they were required to salute officers of all ranks, I was walking through a major shore establishment during a visit with my Admiral and one pretty young Wren gave us a very cheerful "Good morning!" but failed to salute even an officer of flag rank. The Boss suggested that I have a quiet word with her, so I dropped back and broached the subject gently, saying, "Haven't you forgotten something?"

Checking her blouse was fully buttoned and that her stocking seams were straight, she replied brightly, "No, I don't think so, Sir", so I persevered with "Do you remember something special that happened on 1st July?", the date the rules had changed. Her face lit up, and she replied with astonishment, "Gosh, Sir, you are clever! However did you know it was my mum's birthday?", and went merrily on her way - without saluting of course!

Jack