PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Elevated Helipads
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2002, 11:15
soggyboxers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vorticey,
Sorry, but you've obviously never done an offshore helideck take off. The amount of power you're pulling in the hover (which is often at, or close to, the maximum allowable gross weight for the technique) normally gives a thrust margin of only 2 to 4 per cent. This is enough to allow a 'vertical' acceleration to just sufficient height for the tail to clear the deck in the event of an engine failure at rotation. The 'height' attained in this procedure is only 10-20 feet (dependant on aircraft type), so you're still in ground effect; is done close enough to the centre of the deck that none of the blades is overhanging the edge (to ensure no loss of ground effect); and is sufficiently low that there is no chance of vortex ring state developing. There's also not the slightest possibility of hovering on one engine at the take-off weight you're at, you're just going down. Hope that explains it a bit better.

QMAX
You sound more like a statistician than a pilot - difficult to know as you have nothing noted on your user profile, but it seems to me that you are the only one on this thread who has an .e ntrenched philosophy and you still have obviously not got the slightest idea of what an offshore helideck take-off is like (and from the sound of it no idea whatsoever of what an onshore restricted helideck take-off is like either).
in your case since the engine let go "just after rotation" you would have had sufficient energy production (especially applied in a more energy efficient manner) to have been at an aerodynamically efficient velocity - such that it would not have been a factor - FURTHERMORE to what extent was the power failure you experienced ATTRIBUTABLE to the profile you were flying?
Engines don't 'let go' - to we pilots, they fail. With only 5% torque in hand, I was pulling exactly the same amount of power as I would have in a forward transition type of take-off, and my engine failure was not related to the power I was pulling. Your talk of 'aerodynamically efficient velocity' is just nonsense - I was at a velocity of ZERO having just rotated the nose down from the hovering attitude.
The only vagaries associated with this thread seem to be your vague and uninformed ramblings.