PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 16th Oct 2011, 14:27
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA stopped requiring SPIN training long ago, they did not make it illegal.
And that for the Private certificate. So what is preventing commercial requirements for spin/acro for the ATPL?

NOTHING.

FAA sets MINIMUMS, it does not prevent further progress, and skill training. Gliding, spins, and enhance UA recovery should be requirements. They're not, more's the pity, but professional advanced training is available.

DOZY. Relative to the PF's training, and Protections. His handling in Pitch is protected. It isn't closeout, but it is not DIRECT, as ROLL. I am not trying to muddy the waters. The PF found the waters muddy enough, I am suggesting to us that he was less than clear (possibly) of the LAWS in 2 that made Roll a challenge, and PITCH, gentle, though definitely deadly.

It isn't what you think that is important, or what I think, it is what was going through the PIlot's mind that matters.

I think PITCH DIRECT in A/LAW 2 may have prevented this accident. And please eliminate autoTRIM also.

WHY? Because with ROLL so demanding, PITCH was relegated to second tier priority, due its computer filtered inputs. I say this figuratively, for of course it was crucial, but DIFFERENT.

It is this one Failure in programming that caused the crash, I believe.

In slipping from NORMAL to ALTERNATE, a consistent degrade should be the rule, not ROLL this way, PITCH that way, etc.

Had the Pilot pulled hard enough, the a/c would have STALLED with gusto, a la vanilla, cues and all. Do they recover from this early STALL?

Did they recover from the "Weird" STALL that happened when the airframe was paid off in energy? When at the top of a "leisurely" climb, non-DIRECT in PITCH?

Last edited by Lyman; 16th Oct 2011 at 14:40.