PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training the Trainers (TtT) in the Commercial Twin Turbine World
Old 16th Oct 2011, 13:44
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HiHover

That is exactly my point. Business will track the regulations. How about we take a look at the regs and examine whether or not they are up to the job.

Teaching in the sim was once considered to be the realm of the sick, lame and otherwise unemployable but if we continue to think like that it could come around and bite us in the posterior.

There has to be a change of mindset otherwise I fear that we will enter a spiral of decreasing competence. There is no requirement for an SFI to be trained on the correct operation of (let alone the teaching of) FMS, TAWS, EGPWS, Radar because they are not part of the 'basic' aircraft.

An SFI does not have to be type rated on joining the training organisation so in the space of those 4 weeks I mention the poor guy has to achieve the impossible and may then be thrown in at the deep end with no further help or mentoring.

I have said before on another thread that I have a sense of reducing competence amongst the scores of pilots I see every year and although I see the odd chap who should never have been allowed a licence most ARE capable but show signs of poor training. It may have been possible to get away with second rate training in the past but modern machinery is complex and is less tolerant of the ignorant.

G