PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 16th Oct 2011, 10:46
Lancelot de boyles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote- bubbers44 (i can't seem to quote directly, but that's another issue)
And sorry to digress a little.

Originally Posted by bubbers44
'These guys were poorly trained and were not qualified to be flying that airplane. The only qualified pilot was taking his rest break so when he got up there he had little time to figure out how they had gotten into their situation. How can airlines keep hiring pilots of this low capability to fly these wide body aircraft when they know the junior guys will be flying together with little experience? '
There is little doubt that the situation was not handled correctly, but that is not quite the same as poorly trained.

In your statement above, you say the 'only qualified pilot', implying that the 2 F/Os were not qualified?
Would you elaborate, as I feel there is a misconception here? The 2 F/Os were of less experience than the captain, maybe. But surely all were qualified to be there.
In my time, I have flown as F/O, with another F/O as relief, for the captain and myself, on very long trips. All are qualified.

Experience does not automatically produce great ability, nor does great ability infer lots of experience. No matter what the insurance companies and bean counters think.